Background

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Here come the first exam!

If you hadn't guessed already, I hit the ground running this semester! Already into week 5 and about to take our first exam on Tuesday!! There's almost no time at all to catch my breath!!! This semester is so wonderful. Every aspect of it has been so much better than the first two semesters! First of all, we started clinicals already...this will be our third week! Secondly, our instructors are rocking! They're all very passionate about what they teach and are awesome lecturers! Third, my clinical instructor and the unit that I'm on is simply amazing! I feel like I've done more in just the couple days that I've been there than I have in the past semesters! My clinical instructor really advocates for us and pushes for us to get in there and get our skills done! I don't remember if I said what all we get to do for clinicals in my last blog and I'm just going to be lazy and not check and just tell you (sorry if I repeat myself). We spend 6 weeks on a medical-surgical floor. Then we spend 3 weeks in our OB rotation and then 3 more weeks in mental health! 


My first six weeks are being spent at Presbyterian hospital on their General Surgical Unit. I had a great patient this past week. It was fun as my patient and another patient on the floor were walking some laps around the floor. You know you've hit the post-surgical floor when patients are talking about the last time they pooped or were able to fart! My patient kept saying how embarrassed she was to talk so much about pooping but it was all that she could thing about! I just told her that she was in good company, we nurses like to know all about your ability to fart, burp, pee, and poop! There's no shame in that!! :)


Oh...for those of you who were wondering...we had our "trimesterly" CCT exam, which is the exam that makes sure you know how to calculate medications and make sure that you know how to do your math! And yes, I passed! Woot! I had some friends that didn't pass the first time around, but you're given a second chance to re-mediate and redeem yourself. However, if you didn't pass the second time around you didn't get to move on in the program. Thankfully, as far as I know, my friends all made it through the second round of testing!


Tuesday is the first exam! We don't have many extra points to count on (or to pad our grades) this semester, so it's really important to do well on each and every exam. Somehow, I just feel that there's just never enough time to study. Especially this semester. Now I know that I've always been busy, but there's just something about this semester that makes the time just fly by and disappear before you even realize it was even there! All of my friends have been talking about trying to lose weight, go to the gym, eat healthy....the first couples weeks that worked out great, but now it just seems like it's impossible. AHHH!!! 


It's all good though because I know that in August I'm going to be graduating and shortly after that I'll be able to put those two consonants after my name..."R.N." So I suppose the stress and lack of time is worth it in the end!! :)


Well I'm off to bed...gotta take advantage of each minute of sleep...the last thing this world needs is Maggie, on a time crunch, with an exam coming up, not having had a good workout in the past couple days, and sleep deprived...it just doesn't work out too well!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment