Background

Monday, August 8, 2011

78 Days Ago...

I can't even wrap my mind around it...78 days ago I was a newbie...I was just getting started as a level 1 nursing student. Sitting in the front row with my friends that I'd taken my pre-reqs with; and others that I had never seen before. Mumbling amongst ourselves what we thought it would be like...what we thought our instructors would be like. We pondered how difficult the (much talked about and dreaded) exams would be. And who can forget the horrifying things we had heard about Care Plans!!!! :O We discussed how we thought our clinical rotations would be. So much excitement, nervousness, and anticipation packed into each of our bodies...our heartbeats pounding, our blood pressure increasing, stress shooting through the roof...

But that was 78 days ago.

Here I am 11 weeks later and almost done with level 1...yet somehow that same excitement, nervousness and anticipation is pulsing through me. Two more finals (lab and lecture) and then I'm no longer a newbie. How does the time fly so fast? I can't even begin to tell you what an amazing journey I'm on. I've made some of the best friends in this program. I've learned so much (more than I knew my brain could handle) and yet I'm just getting started.

Before I started the program I actually hesitated with fear wondering what I had gotten myself into. All my life I've known that I've wanted to be a nurse and I was suddenly worried that I had pushed myself into this career because of my other family members that are nurses...but all of that diminished as soon as I stepped foot into the JS building. There's not a lot in life that I'm sure about...but I'm sure about these things... 1) with God all things are possible and I can make it through any situation, 2) Nursing has to be one of the hardest yet most rewarding thing I've ever done, 3) Nursing school has to be one of the greatest and most challenging thing I've ever experienced...and I can't wait for my next 3 levels (that is of course after my final!!!) :D

So 78 days ago if you asked me what I was doing...I would have told you that I was starting nursing school; with next to no idea of what I was getting myself into. But if you asked me (78 days later) what I'm up to...I'd tell you I'm on the greatest journey of my life...I'm no longer just a student, no, I'm a nursing student. Learning new and great things every day and meeting some of the most amazing people along the way...So the next time you see something that's not the norm...call me...or as one of my patients put it, "If you see someone with a little extra something...I wanna see!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment