Background

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Somewhere inbetween...

For those of you who don't know me my name is Margaret...but you can call me Maggie if you want to. I could try and explain the dynamics of my family and my life story but that would take to long so let me sum up; I have a big family and like any family we have our difficulties...currently they seem to be constantly occurring, but hey, when it rains it pours! I'm a nursing student right now though so I don't really have much time to care about the other stuff going on! :D That's what this blog will mostly be about anyways...the real important stuff in life right?!

An older picture...but that's all of us!


I'm currently a level one student (meaning this is my first semester) at Central New Mexico Community College. I'm in week 8 of this 12 week semester. It's hard to believe that I’m over half way done! However, since I'm starting this blog a little late into the program I didn't get to share the trials and joys of beginning this program! So, for you to be able to fully appreciate my endeavor I would like to share with you my experience thus far!

I'm legit!


Since I was lucky enough to begin this program in the summer we had to hit the ground running! On Week one we had reading and assignments up to our neck! You think I'm joking? We had 13 different chapters to read, paperwork that needed to be filled out and turned in, physicals and drug tests that had to be done and returned within a certain amount of time, we had to get fitted for our scrubs, get our equipment for our lab and clinicals...the list goes on and on! To say the least it was overwhelming and a whole new environment that we had to throw ourselves into. When signing up for this program you have a general idea of how things will go and of course you know that it's not going to be easy, but I'm not exactly sure that there's anything that can quite prepare you for the overwhelming amount of stress and pressure that you'll be put under!

I signed up to take a supplementary lab; which is supposed to reinforce the topics that we cover in our lecture and also give us extra clinical time to prepare for the real deal! I think I'll write a separate post on our lab time! :D

We have class Tuesday thru Friday. Tuesday and Wednesday are our lectures days (and Wednesday I also have supplementary lab) and Thursday and Friday are our clinical days. Initially we spent our clinical days at a workforce training center and in the labs. We would do round robins where we basically go room to room learning new skills and getting a chance to work with it hands on! (Talk about getting close and personal with your classmates...as my instructor put it, "What other kind of job allows you to know 60 different students bowel movement patterns...honestly I have the best job!"....now that's the kind of instructor you love to have!)

Honestly I couldn't have asked for better instructors and mentors. They're full of wisdom and support, they have great constructive criticism, and they're immensely compassionate and truly want to see you succeed! Anyone that's ever gone to college knows that the most popular question to ask is "Who's a good instructor? Who should I take?" but I'm learning more and more that in this program it doesn't matter who you take..yes, they all have different teaching techniques and different backgrounds but they all are there to help you succeed and become the best nurse that you can be!

Well I can see that I'm not going to have any problems writing down my wealth of information! I'll stop for now, seeing as how I have clinicals to prep for! But this is just a sip of this ocean I'm currently taking on...my goal is not just to stay afloat but to soar across and take in as much as possible along the way! Right now I'm somewhere inbetween the mindset of a student and a nurse...my goal is to no longer call myself a college student...no because I'm not just any college student...I'm a nursing student...I'm redefining all I've ever known and building upon my limited knowledge. I'm somewhere inbetween going crazy yet knowing this is what I'm meant to do! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment