Background

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Are you a nurse or a pitbull?

Today we got to finish up our week long lecture/discussion on Diabetes. Fewsh....let me just say....that's a nasty and chronic disease that is to have! It's amazing to think how three little things can play such a huge role; diet, exercise and weight!! At the end of class our instructor went over some practice exam questions with us. Let me just start by saying how awful nursing questions are...you'll be given a situation, and then answers you have to chose from will all be the right answer, but your job is to find out which answer is the best! So, we had narrowed our answers down to two possible choices. I decided on which answer was the best and so had the others. The answer I selected was correct, but there were still other students who put a different answer. My instructor wanted to hear why the students thought the other answer was correct! (Now this is what we nursing students do...instead of just taking the answer for what it's worth we decided that we need to think about the "what ifs" like what if this was the situation, or, what if they had this problem too...but in all reality everything we need is in the question and not the what ifs!) So after explaining to us why the other question wasn't the best answer she went on to say, "I'm not training you to be pitbulls...LET GO! I'm training you to be nurses...so just let go of all those what ifs and maybes because that's not what this question is asking you!"

I think we were all grateful for that gentle slap on the face saying, "HELLO?!?! Is that what this question is asking you? Because if it's not then you just have to let it go!!!"....although it's much easier said than done but I'm reminded yet again that I'm not just the student...I'm the nurse!

No comments:

Post a Comment